Fayetteville, Ark. – The Arkansas Razorbacks 2013 college football recruiting class has come together nicely over the last week yet the Hogs still have two days left and four scholarships that could be filled by Wednesday’s end.
The verbal commitment from the No. 1 ranked running back in the nation (247Sports), Alex Collins, adds prestige to a class that was holding its own before his announcement on Fox Sports Monday night.
Arkansas had locked in the No. 1 junior college cornerback in the nation when Carroll Washington enrolled for the spring semester. The Hogs also signed two of the Top 10 junior college linebackers in the nation in Myke Tavarres and Martrell Spaight.
Two-time junior college All-American offensive tackle Jonathan McClure rounds out another enrollee that should contribute immediately for the Razorbacks come next season.
The star ranking power of punter Sam Irwin-Hill will not propel the Hogs into the Top 10 of any college football recruiting rankings but his big leg should help flip field position for Arkansas next season and is a needed pickup to replace graduated punter Dylan Breeding.
Bielema secured two high school offensive linemen that could be the cornerstone pieces of the Hogs’ offensive line for years to come in guard Reeve Koehler and tackle Dan Skipper.
Arkansas is still waiting to hear on the decisions of 3-star tackle Dwayne Johnson, Bellaire, Texas, and 4-star tackle/guard Denver Kirkland, Miami, Florida. Should both players commit Bielema will have quickly built an offensive line of the future immediately establishing the pedigree for success he had as head coach of the Badgers; road graders up front.
The additions of Johnson and Kirkland would also represent commitments number 22 and 23 giving the Hogs two remaining scholarships.
Johnson’s decision has been narrowed down between Arkansas and Nebraska. Kirkland eliminated Miami over the weekend leaving the Hogs and Florida State the top two contenders for his services while in college.
Speculation is dual-threat quarterback Damon Mitchell from Egg Harbor City, New Jersey, a one-time Georgia Tech commitment, has narrowed down his choices between Arkansas and Rutgers; possible commitment number 24.
The last remaining scholarship offer could be the sweetest signature for many Arkansas fans.
Not overshadowing the addition of Collins but Razorback Nation has seen the top player in the state leave for other programs for five straight years. So, should North Little Rock running back Altee Tenpenny flip from Alabama to Arkansas his signing would be the proverbial cherry on top of a really ‘sweet’ 2013 recruiting class for Bret Bielema and his staff during their first year in Fayetteville.
Tenpenny is rated the No. 8 running back in the nation by Rivals and 247Sports rates him as the No. 5 prospect at his position coming out of the high school ranks.
The possible addition of Tenpenny along with Collins would give the Hogs a one-two punch on the field that would develop nicely behind the potentially well constructed offensive line recruited by the Razorbacks’ coaching staff in just over one month’s time.
Collins verbal commitment moved the Hogs up from No. 34 to No. 24 on 247Sports Team Rankings. Rivals rates Arkansas’ class at No. 31.
Arkansas Razorback Commitments for the 2013 Recruiting Class
1. QB Austin Allen, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 3-Star
2. LB Brooks Ellis, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 3-Star
3. SS Alex Brignoni, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 3-Star
4. TE Hunter Henry, Little Rock, Arkansas, 4-Star
5. LB Myke Tavarres, Weed (JC), California, 3-Star*
6. CB Carroll Washington, Salinas (JC), California, 4-Star*
7. DE Tevin Beanum, Forrest City, Arkansas, 3-Star
8. OT John McClure, El Dorado (JC), Texas, 3-Star*
9. WR Drew Morgan, Greenwood, 3-Star
10. SS Tiquention Coleman, Milledgeville (JC), Georgia, 3-Star*
11. LB Martrell Spaight, Coffeyville (JC), Kansas, 3-Star*
12. P Sam Irwin-Hill, City College of San Francisco (JC), 2-Star
13. OG Reeve Koehler, Honolulu, Hawaii, 4-Star
14. FS De’Andre Coley, Miami, Florida, 2-Star
15. CB D.J. Dean, Newton, Texas, 3-Star
16. DT Ke’tyrus Marks, Riviera Beach, Florida, 3-Star
17. OT Dan Skipper, Arvada, Colorado, 3-Star
18. SS Korliss Marshall, Osceola, Arkansas, 3-Star
19. RB Denzell Evans, Bellaire, Texas, 3-Star
20. WR Melvinson Hartfield, Dallas, Texas, 3-Star
21. RB Alex Collins, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 5-Star
Arkansas Razorback Commitments for the 2014 Recruiting Class
1. QB Rafe Peavey, Bolivar, Missouri, 4-Star
2. DT Bijhon Jackson, El Dorado, Arkansas, 4-Star
3. RB Juan Day, North Little Rock, Arkansas, not rated
Verbal commitments are non-binding.
* Denotes signed Letter of Intent.
Tags: 2013 College Football Recruiting Updates Alabama Crimson Tide Alex Collins Altee Tenpenny Arkansas Razorbacks Featured Florida State Seminoles Football Miami Hurricanes Nebraska Cornhuskers Popular