Fayetteville, Ark. – Just as the recruiting trail is about to heat up for the newly formed Arkansas Razorback coaching staff on Jan. 3, one verbally committed recruit has been dropped from the list. On Monday 3-star wide receiver Jervenski Johnson was reportedly no longer committed to the Hogs.
Johnson, 6’5”, 190 pounds, was a standout performer at the Arkansas Razorback football camp this summer earning a scholarship offer shortly after instructions ended. Johnson, seen as an athlete/wide receiver/safety prospect, started the camp with the Hogs receiving instruction at safety. Arkansas offensive coordinator Paul Petrino moved Johnson to wide receiver and six pass routes later Petrino had seen enough.
Reports are Petrino called Johnson over after the sixth route asking Johnson to call him once he left camp. When Johnson called Petrino, Petrino offered the Amite, Louisiana prospect a scholarship. At the time of the offer Johnson was not rated by any major scouting services. He saw his stock rise during the 2012 season to a 3-star by Rivals and a 2-star by Scout.
Johnson committed to the Hogs on June 13. He also has received one other scholarship offer from University of Alabama-Birmingham. He has reportedly camped at Alabama, Mississippi State, Memphis, and LSU.
The loss of Johnson drops the number of scholarship recruits Arkansas has left to fill to 14, five junior college players signed with the Hogs on Dec. 22.
Other Arkansas Recruiting News
New Berlin, NY, quarterback prospect Trevor Rea, 6’5”, 211 pounds, is reportedly interested in walking on with the Arkansas Razorbacks squad in January. Rea played for Milford Academy, same school as former Arkansas wide receiver/return specialist Marquel Wade, as a backup only attempting five pass attempts in 2012 completing two for 48 yards per the Milford Academy website.
Rea is originally from Plano, IL.
Milford has a rich history of sending their players to Division-I programs and onto the NFL. Current NFL players from Milford include Shonn Green and LeSean McCoy.
Arkansas Razorback Commitments for the 2013 Recruiting Class
1. QB Austin Allen, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 3-Star
2. LB Brooks Ellis, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 3-Star
3. SS Alex Brignoni, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 3-Star
4. TE Deondra Skinner, Patterson, Louisiana, 3-Star
5. SS Khari Harding, Edmond, Oklahoma, 3-Star
6. TE Hunter Henry, Little Rock, Arkansas, 4-Star
7. LB Myke Tavarres, Weed (JC), California, 3-Star*
8. CB Carroll Washington, Salinas (JC), California, 4-Star*
9. LB Marcus Robinson, Memphis, Tennessee, 3-Star
10. DE Tevin Beanum, Forrest City, Arkansas, 2-Star
11. OT John McClure, El Dorado (JC), Texas, 2-Star*
12. WR Drew Morgan, Greenwood, 2-Star
13. SS Tiquention Coleman, Milledgeville (JC), Georgia, 3-Star*
14. LB Martrell Spaight, Coffeyville (JC), Kansas, 3-Star*
Arkansas Razorback Commitments for the 2014 Recruiting Class
QB Rafe Peavey, Bolivar, Missouri, 4-Star
DT Bijhon Jackson, El Dorado, Arkansas, 4-Star